- "Les amours imaginaires" is a movie that tells the story of three close friends who are involved in a love-triangle. Directed by Xavier Dolan, it floats between reality and dreamy expectations and seduces the viewer with the everyday story, told with the help of beautiful angles and a delightful soundtrack.
This work was made as one of a series of three* black and white identities that should include:
1) An icon that resumes the idea of the movie;
2) A typographic solution for the title, using just Arial and/or Times New Roman;
3) A calligraphic solution, handmade.
4) A 50x70 poster, no printing allowed, using a single sheet of white paper.
*other movies: "Kynodontas" and "Blue Valentine"
I tested literally hundreds of versions for the title, using different materials, specially chinese ink, chalk and pencil. The idea was to find a handmade solution, avoiding "perfectness", to replicate the confusing feelings of the characters.
1. The symbol
After experimenting with faces and shadows (above), the final symbol was designed as three crossed hearts, the middle one with a diagonal that represents the concept of "forbidden".
2. The Typographic Title
With the limitation of using just "Arial" or "Times NR" as fonts for the title, the solution I found was to use the word "imaginaires" in a lighter weight and the three "i" as a symbol for the three main characters.
3. The calligraphic title
After scanning the sketches, I combined some of the results in three posters.
The first one was the final solution.
- All together:
4. The Poster
I was not satisfied with the versions above as solutions for the poster. As we could use just a single sheet of paper as base for the poster, and printing was not allowed, I decided to make a stylized portrait of the three characters, the blond guy above the other two, emerging from their heads.
- A bit of the process and details:
The final piece:
That's all! =)
visit me on my facebook page!
If you liked, please click in the button below!
It's nice to have your appreciation!