Showcase & Discover Creative Work Sign Up For Free
Hiring Talent? Post a Job

Bēhance

Moved - Thermostat

  • 1616
  • 51
  • 0
  • Moved
    Study project: A new thermostat
  • Challenge
    Solve the problem of how to get people around Europe to replace 500 million older - but functioning - thermostats, with new ones and to uphold ongoing additional sales.

    Approach
    With an offset in a user-driven approach, where the user’s needs and preferences are decoded and translated into design parameters, we concluded to focus on the core functions of a thermostat and to give it a new and more intuitive design. The strategy is to differentiate the product from others on the market in terms of added value perceived by the costumers, yielding market share benefits.
    We established a user group of 10 people with
    whom we evaluated specific steps of the process, primarily the research and detailing phase. The more conceptualizing phase holding the synthesis of all gathered insights were carried out within the group ourselves.
    To make the final solution desirable, feasible and viable, we had different tracks running parallel throughout the process. This allowed us to obtain knowledge within important aspects of the evolving solution to enable us to take on different optics when needed.
    DFM (design for manufacturing) played a large role in the choice of technical solution and  overall shape. Everything was modeled in SolidWorks and analyzed through the build-in FEM (finite elements method) to improve the design.
    To uphold an ongoing sale and to reach a larger usergroup, we added the possibility for customization.

    Respons
    A new perception of a thermostat by changing the way of interacting and by making it an individual design-object, instead of just a technical part of the radiator.
    Danfoss was very pleased with the final solution
    and will bring it forth in their future design plans.