- Mercedes-Benz Star Lounge, Fashion Week
In the Spring of 2009 I forged a partnership with Mercedes-Benz for my employer, Maurice Villency, Inc., to design and install a VIP lounge for Fashion Week.
- Brief: Design a luxurious, temporary lounge, which can be installed in 48 hours and costs Villency no more than $6000.
Solution: I secured partnerships with a team of talented designers who could create custom wallpaper, textiles and floral treatments. We identified a theme to inspire a cohesive design story and I went on to articulate that theme through moodboards, text and floorplan prototypes to ensure that the entire team was on the same page and that the client knew what to expect before the installation began. Furthermore, I negotiated rates with various vendors to ensure a luxurious final product, which remained within the finite budget.
My role: creative director, storyteller, project manager, contract negotiator, lighting designer (as well as hands-on work such as moving furniture, painting, directing traffic and impromptu problem solving onsite)
Results: The February lounge was such a success that Mercedes-Benz requested that Maurice Villency return to design the summer and fall lounges as well. Celebrities such as Justin Timberlake and Bruce Willis visited the lounges and attracted press coverage.
- September 2009: Bryant Park
- Bryant Park quickly became a point of inspiration as Fashion Week was scheduled to move to Lincoln Center in the spring.
- My team also toyed with using luxury cars, namely Mercedes-Benz, as another possible point of inspiration.
- Our team settled on this moodboard I created to fuse the Bryant Parkand Mercedes-Benz themes into a single "Mercedes-Benz Convertible"concept.
- Design Story: (As presented to Mercedes-Benz) Our concept for the Mercedes-Benz Star Lounge was inspired by the elegance and speed of Mercedes-Benz convertibles and by the beauty of Bryant Park. Guests will enter the lounge through a hallway created by flowing pieces of opaque and semi opaque strips of fabric that will be suspended from the ceiling. Majestic screen-printed fabric will cascade down the front wall and continue flowing above their heads like a canopy of trees.
A dramatic capiz chandelier will be hung above the bar, at the end of the entryway. Guests will be drawn into the space by the moon-like orb. As they emerge from behind the entry curtain, they will be immediately struck by the dynamic design on the back wall. The custom wallpaper is inspired by starscapes and streaks of light that zoom past a speeding car. The custom paper will wrap towards the front of the room, designed with a bottom chair rail that is reminiscent of the interior of a car. The top portion of the wall will represent the surrounding greenery of the park. Both illustrations will fade gracefully into the rest of the room, which will be painted in a sophisticated slate grey and continue the streaks of moving color.
The Star Lounge will be decorated with elegant furniture that boasts of accents, lines and details reminiscent of Mercedes-Benz luxury interiors. The tree-like, high-back Malmoe chairs will be custom upholstered with Variegated fabric and pillows and throws will enliven the space with colors and patterns found in other areas of the lounge.
- "Erin, Thank you for your support of Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week by creating our ultra-chic lounge. We loved it! And, we really enjoy working with you! Thanks again for everything!"
Lisa Holladay, Manager Brand Experience, Mercedes-Benz
- Summer 2009: Miami Swim
- “The lounge was once again a great success. Guests commented on the design
and the functionality. Trust me, our catering staff has never been so happy!”
Natascha Wolber, Supervisor, Brand & Lifestyle Event Marketing, Mercedes-Benz
- Spring 2009: Bryant Park
- Historically, Mercedes-Benz has worked with different companies for the design of various lounges. However, following the spring 2009 installation I helped design and project manage, our clients at Mercedes-Benz told me that it was the most organized, and therefore, quickest and most enjoyable experience they have had to date. They asked us to return for the summer and fall events.