Showcase & Discover Creative Work Sign Up For Free
Hiring Talent? Post a Job

Bēhance

  • For this project we worked directly with MBNA to produce and create this TVC spot, on air on every UK channel, August 2013.
    The entire production took a little over 4 weeks to finish, with a synchronized print campaign to follow up the TVC led by our creative upon launch.

    My involvement in this project was as 3d Artist.

    Creative Director and Compositing: Dan Andrew. 
    Post Production - The Studio London -  C4D / Nuke / Smoke
     
    thestudio.smoke-mirrors.com
  • We had to create a world made of a grid of credit cards and we ended up using 10000 of them. These cards had to flip, without intersecting to each other and with the floor, keeping control of the pivot point of them and the textures.
    We wanted to have just a big camera move so we had to keep the project light and tidy because we couldn't use any cuts.
  • Cinema 4d and its Mograph module was the obvious choice. We tried to keep everything very light: we used Instances under a Cloner to lay the main credit card grid, made it editable (so we could change these "main" instances in other credit cards or buildings made of credit cards) and then select some of these instances and animated them with a Fracture object and Plain or Shader effector.
    To create the buildings, we used a Cloner and the instance of the credit card model (we really struggled to keep the project manageable), a Shader and a Color shader on the texture to keep the side of the cards white but not the top of the building. A light Random effector helped us giving a little bit of realness on the stack of cards.
    The Fracture object usually moves the pivot point to the center of the object, but not with the Instances. So, using Instances were the best choice for our projects: we had total control on the cards and on their axis center.
    Even each card is an Extrude object of just one instanced rectangle spline: in this way we could change the spline points at once.
    The project was composited in Nuke then refined in Smoke before being graded using Resolve. The work flow worked brilliantly from C4D to Nuke as camera data could be shared as well as inital Nuke scripts outputed straight from C4D. 
    On this project we decided to render seperate passes rather than EXR. files due to the timings however we have used both methods with complete success.