- The Art of Criterion CoversMartin Scorsese's
1980 Film "Raging Bull"
In this project I will attempt to explore the making of a Criterion Coverfrom initial concept to final cover design
I will take you step by step the entire design process
if this project turns out to be a success, I will of course be exploring more titlesso please send in your feedback, comments or film suggestions ...
let's get started
- Martin Scorsese's Black and White Masterpiece Raging Bull
I could go on and on about Scorsese, Personally I think all his films merit the CC Treatment
The first step would be to start looking for photos and images, Build anarchive of photos and ideas to work with ... create a digital mood board
that always helps.
So start Googling or use yourDVD to screen cap interesting shots.
Also start to think about the film itself.What's the story all about, it's the story of a paranoid ego maniac,it's the story of two brothers torn apart by rage.
The black and white cinematography, the grain.
The Cutting Style of Thelma Schoonmaker
The first thing that came to my mind about Scorsese and this era in his career
was that he was heavily influenced by the whole new york punk scene, Joe Strummer and the Clash !
so i kinda think that a whole gig Punk style look would be appropriate for the designsimple colors maybe all black and white tones.
- A few shots to play with
- Raging Bull cover concept # 1
- First attempt at a cover, played it simple with the typeface
also added the stark black and white grain slowly creeping into the image
leaving the bloody face full of aged colors.
Not a bad start ! But let's try a more cut and paste version.
- Raging Bull cover concept # 2
- cut and paste the raging bull letters from an old Film still, think we are getting somewhere
but i want to try out another photo, let's use this one below ...
- Raging Bull cover concept # 3
- Thresholded a few things; among them the photo of Deniro, added a grainy texture.
matched the orange retro red to the Criterion C, logo type and year
Let's try no color and more grain
- Raging Bull cover concept # 4
- Here we have a more traditional gig style poster, no color really to speak of.
All Black and White
I would like to try out another photo within this style
- Raging Bull cover concept # 5
- I went with the brothers photo just to get a different flavor
after all It's their story ...
Added a hint of color just to emphasis Scorsese name.
But now i feel the Typeface doesn't work !
- Raging Bull cover concept # 6
- Typeface has been changed to a more cut a paste theme kinda like the Scorsese font in the last cover, also added the actors names to the cover ...
I don't know but i feel the Raging Bull title works better, it's bolder and more in your face
Let's try another photo to this layout
- My favorite covers so far ... let's try to combine them.
- Final Raging Bull cover concept # 7
- Final Design of the coverI added all the principal actorsand added just one color which is the appropriate color
adding the color to some of the fonts and the cut on the eye
Final thought for all you designers out there ...
have fun with it, don't over think your steps and decisionsalways think about the films central themes
be true to the filmmakers vision
- Printed a few posters for an L.A. Art show last year