- Logo design for "Cozy Home"
Stages of development from the "С" to "E"
- Posting this article I'm starting my column, which will describe in details the development of a logo "from the very beginning" and "till the final step". I present here all the stages of development of the logo. So, the development step by step.
I'll try to comment on the important aspects of the process, as well as share some secrets and fine points of the logo design.
The aim was to develop a logo that would reflect the essence of its name and provide insight into a field of activity. It should be catchy, but a simple sign.
Scope of activity:
Internet commerce and cash-and-carry market. There was a small pavilion without a name, which sold appliances and utensils, but the company decided to extend the sphere of business: to add more furniture and other stuff for the house, so it got a name "cozy home".
First of all, you could think about the theme “comfort”, this term is quite abstract, but for the image in the logo are important objective symbols. For the majority, comfort - is just warm, comfortable, pleasant atmosphere, etc. For me personally, comfort - is calmness.
To understand exactly, what means comfort for other people, we need to get an objective opinion. I usually write a necessary word in a search engine and look at whole number of thematic pictures. It is quite important to understand, what people mean under the term comfort, of course some random pictures - are not an objective opinion, but it helps to get people's attitude to the object.
Here are some pictures outlined by me, which most clearly reflect the concept of "Comfort"
- After viewing the pictures you will already get objective impression of "Comfort". Although the every impression is subjective (in fact, even the simple word "milk" calls by people only 20% of similar associations), you must still think about it.
It's something warm, soft ... and a lot of nice metaphors.
We will try to think more exact. Sometimes you can run to extremes, without which things we can't imagine the concept "comfort"? Without it's creator - human.
That is why we need bionics (biological, anthropomorphic form) in the logo.
So we define a little bit the shape, and got a description of the future logo, now we are ready to make some sketches.
Tip: Before you start to make some sketches, you should order your ideas and you should create an image in your head, then we will simply transfer them over the paper.
2. Sketches, drafts, scribble.
I strongly recommend before you sit down to the table, try to draw something with pencil on the paper. When I first started to develop logos, I sat down immediately and began to sculpt, feeling and testing different forms, but when once I tried to make a couple of sketches, I began to receive much better result. Pencils bar has a much greater freedom than the computer form.
When you start to paint, try different options, don’t obsessed with one idea. You should experiment, because the paper will allow you to do with it whatever you like. I would suggest drawing even something delusional, or something funny to warm up the brain.
So we have:
- So the lady-idea came to me, as you can see, the slightly bended hands make a silhouette of a classic form of the house on the right below.
This is a very profitable idea, because the image itself is formed of background, it attracts attention.
In fact, things over which people think at least a couple of seconds are better and simpler to remember.
Sketches help to liberate imagination and give it form, use minimum of time to draw your sketches, it allows not to lose the thread of the idea.
3. Drawing sign in vector.
What kind of drawing program you are using doesn’t matter, the most important is, how convenient it’s for you. If you've heard that «true designers» work for example, only in Adobe illustrator then let them work with this program. The program, like a pencil, like a mouse, like any tool you are using should be handy for you, so that the stereotypes are out of place here.
You should start with a general form, but step-by-step try to achieve the ideal line and form.
Tip: By the editing of the logo you should always leave the previous version, even if the changes are minimal, so you can see the process of your work. Such method makes it possible to compare the previous version with the newer one; hereby you’ll see gradual improvement.
Try to make a smoothie line based on the necessary minimum of points. The more points the more "dirty" will look the line. The circumference is based on four points, why do the usual winding segment need eight points, unless it consists of eight bends…Well, I think you’ve got the point.
It often happens that you have the final version suitable for you, but don’t be in a hurry to send it to your client, take your time, show it to your friends or just leave it and forget it till the next morning, for example, look at it with a fresh head.
- While you are drawing, continue to think over the position of the sign, think about the details but at the same time remove all unnecessary and overly obvious. Creating this logo I had an idea to make a window to make the house more obvious, but this detail is unnecessary. At the first look it makes the perception easier, but it weakens the appearance of the hands and the idea of the silhouette could be lost. Many might say that such an image is understandable. I don’t think so, many say, don’t force people to think, people don’t like to think, but don’t forget that people are not stupid. If you awake man’s interest in some form, then he will be happy to think over it a little bit.
4. Selection and adjustment of font
If you already have a sign and you need to choose the font, first of all analyze the sign form. Pay attention to the corners, the shape, proportion and thickness, dynamic of the sign.
Don’t forget, that the font should reflect the basic concept and requirements to the logo. When it concerns legal services don’t use funny objects, but rigorous and clear forms, keep in mind the target audience, try to think with which emotions the client turns to the company, for the better life or he has any problems.
The font should fit to the sign, so that sign and font will be all-in-one-piece. Here is important not only typeface, but the proportions and location of the font to the sign.
- I’ve chosen the typeface Daxline Bold, its shape and density, as well as its style-forming inclined, he suits well to the sign. It was necessary to experiment a little bit with the size and location, because words differ greatly from each other in length. Here you see the ratio of height of the font to the height of the sign 2-1.
Pay attention to space between letters. Once you have chosen the font, divide the word into letters, and edit it. As a rule, the space between letters should be exposed in the font geometrically, for example, the space between the letters makes 1 mm, while the space between the letters "I" and "E" could have formed to a big hole, and even worse, if the letter "Y" and "T" could have stand next to each other. Therefore, I recommend to set it all manually, relay on how a font looks like a once piece thing, if there are no "holes". There fore, I advise to take as a base the space between letters, which have one vertical line such as "N", "H", "M" etc. and other spaces you should set up with proportion to exhibit 1/3 or 1/5, where 1 is the space between the "h" and "a".
Tip: While you are editing the shape of the sign and selecting the font, use the gray shading, colour can distract from the form.
In this case I had not bright choice, the client insisted on the green. I will try to reflect colour perception and colour selecting in the other articles on another example.
Tip: choose the appropriate colour
- 6. Presentation and final version.
That's what we have. To present a logo you can show how it will look at some element, for example on the car. You can use also some unusual objects, which are based on a logo, for example a trammel.
- Evolve with us! © logosapiens.by