KPCC+ Positioning KPCC as a catalyst of positive change
- Art Center GalleryProject Featured On:Art Center Gallery — 4/23/12
- KPCC+Positioning our local radio station as a catalyst of positive changeWinner of a Bronze ISDA International Design Excellence Award in the Student Design Category in 2012.
In looking to the future of public radio, KPCC needed to bridge the ever-widening gap between their aging loyal donor base and the next generation of listers. Compounded by the shift from terrestrial to digital media consumption, KPCC was in search of ways to broaden and strengthen its brand reach and equity without diluting its mission of being a trusted local news source in Southern California.
KPCC+ is a systematic, multi-pronged growth strategy intended to increase listenership and maintain a longterm competitive advantage.
1. Klik - digital application allowing the user to participate in a realtime conversation with other listeners that share their interests.
2. Voices - recording device disseminated into the listening area to capture local stories and opinions. It gets passed from person to person like chain mail.
3. Nights of the Round Table - multi-venue curated conversation around local issues hosted by KPCC, encouraging local listeners to connect and share their opinions in person.
4. Change Agency - mobilizes and connects the listening community with opportunities for community service.
5. Conservatory - social incubator / think tank that leverages the affluence and ideas of the listening community for creating positive change.
- Benefit to the user:
One of the biggest insights from research with listeners was that they felt connected to the radio station and their hosts, but not to other listeners who share their values. KPCC+ connects listeners both in person and over the air. With the Change Agency, Nights of the Round Table and the Conservatory, listeners meet like-minded others, share ideas and together create something of value for the local community through projects. Klik and Voices are platforms to share opinions and thoughts.
Benefit to the client:
1. Makes KPCC synonymous with positive change in local communities. Creates brand equity by increasing listener touch points.
2. Creates content for on-air programming through projects that have positive impact in the community as well as individual stories that may emerge through Voices.
3. Motivates listeners to become contributing members as they are able to see change in their communities.
4. Gains access to Millenials who identify themselves as being activists and change agents.
Benefit to the society:
Uplifts and creates closely-knit local neighborhoods through KPCC+ projects.