- FEAT. YANA RADEVA AND STEFAN POPOV
- Klaksvik, Faroe islands - city of whale fisihing, Nordic architecture, chaotic streets and strong winds.
The specific geographic location determines the foundation of the city. It’s concentrated in the quiet part of the bay.
- Streets, buildings and urban systen develops like parasites on the skin of the whales multiply and form groups.(colonies, settlements). Whale ( typical fish which is used from the natives for food, fat,skin and building fences from the bones)
- Complex chaotic street network along the coasts - like a ribbed leather of the pilot whale. Old and new buildings in one system. The traffic network in the Main area is developed in two levels. The pedestrian level is separated from the car level in case of creating an attractive and pleasant city center without any vehicles. The street network is chaotic in its origin around the old random buildings and orthogonal in the new parts of the center to create an order in the chaos. That is how the traffic network takes the role of a homogeneous fishing-net unifying the old and new buildings in one ensemble.
- Most of the existing buildings in Klaksvik have pitched roofs with different slopes and characteristic silhouette. Using these indications we create new building modules that signs:
Modular construction of one urban center makes it characteristic and identical and unifies the traditional Klaksvik architecture and the contemporary identity. Modularity allows this characteristic architecture to continue in its future development as the parasites on the skin of the whales multiply and form groups (colonies, settlements).
- If we add the main problem /the strong wind/ to the components of the urban design we have to reconsider our project and organize its layouts in the following way: the tallest buildings in the first line of Main area 1 to make a slope screen for the strong wind streams; separating the area in two different levels creates amphitheatrical places which provide shelter from the wind.