- DescriptionThis collaborative university project challenges the assumption that maps are designed to accurately reflect their target location. It invites visitors of South Bank (Brisbane Australia), to interact with and imagine the location differently.
This was achieved by mapping the area of South Bank imaginatively, and not necessarily reflecting the space as it is currently perceived. Locations were mapped in an illustrative fairy tale context, inviting user’s sense of adventure. The resulting map is presented in an iPad & iPhone app format (Image South Bank), inviting users to be in and experience the space, before responding to it.
- Our revised map of South Bank was created by sectioning up the space, and linking each section with an imagitive scene or fairytale – inspired by objects or geography found in each individual section.
- The map was then housed within the iPhone/iPad Application, and layered with a pattern overlay to represent the typical mapping of the area. Users are then able to swipe a coloured filter around the map to navigate, simultaneously revealing how contrasting experiences can be had in South Bank.
- App users are able to view the map in either boredom or adventure mode, whilst having the option to access location reviews contributed by other users.
- Imagine your next visit to South Bank – Print Advertisements.