- The Importance of Design
Essay Question - Visual Representation
- We have been asked to created a visual representation for the dissertation we need to write by the end of this year.
The question that I have chosen to write about is:
“How has design changed the world of business, media and communication?”
I have had an idea to create a range of small simple posters, showing how design has changed certain aspects of our lives, for example phones, clothes, newspapers etc.
- The first example i have given is based around the media, and how people are able to get information and news. In 1605 the first commercial newspaper was created, this was a major leap forward as it allowed people to gain knowledge from outside their local area. We now have technology such as the iPad that allow us to gain knowledge from around the world.
- This is the second example that ive come up with. It is basedaround fashion, and how over the years fashion has changed as a direct impactof adverting and branding. In modern day people are interested in the brandingon a piece of clothing, as opposed to the functionality.
- This example is about the mobile phones, and how design has changed not only the way the phone looks, but also the way that they work. Modern day mobile phones are more than just a device to contact someone, they are small computers that can access large amounts of date. The design of these products is also massively important, as it makes them desirable to consumers.
- Car production is massive business, and in the modern world we live in, there are hundreds of different shapes, models and designs. In 1908the first production car was developed by Henry ford, at the time these cars were revolutionary. Design plays a huge part in how the car industry has become so successful, because the better looking the car is, the more likely someone is to buy it.
- Type is one of the most important piece of design ever developed, and is constantly evolving. The first font was developed on a printing press to replace the existing hand written technique; we now call this style ‘Blackletter’. Since then there have been hundreds of different font designs, the most famous and widely used being Helvetica. This font was developed in 1957 and is still today one of the most popular fonts for branding and advertising because it’s simple and clean design.