A History of British Cider.
- This is a series of illustrations commissioned by White Light Media, for UK magazine Hot Rum Cow, Issue 2.
Hot Rum Cow is a quarterly magazine for people who are fascinated by great beers, wines & spirits - and the extraordinary stories behind them.
I was asked to illustrate the magazine cover and the feature article 'A History of British Cider'.
The brief was wide open, giving me creative freedom to work in a style I was happy with.I loved the medieval angle in the story and wanted to reflect that in my illustrations by suggesting old tapestry design. I developed my palette from the existing logo which worked well considering the earthiness of the subject matter. The nature of how I created the front artwork allowed the designers to play around with my composition to acheive a best 'fit' for the cover.Runner up. Creative Quarterly CFE 30. Professional Illustration.
- 'Wassailing' A rite which takes place every January on the Twelfth Night. Trees are sung to, music is played, pans are banged and cider is poured.
- Welsh dragon tamer and patron saint of apple trees...Saint Teilo.
- 13th century and the flourishing of British cider-making.
- In the 14th century, babies were reportedly baptised with cider!
- The Cider process.
- Magazine layouts
- Rough layouts and Sketches.