- Historia Francorum
A designer's course on Medieval History
- History was always one of my favorite subjects to talk about. Ever since I was a little kid I wanted to listen to people talking of the past and its great joys, tragedies and mysteries.
Historia Francorum (History of the Franks) is the Greek version of the first three books written by Saint Gregory of Tours, back in the 6th century A.D. It tells us the bloody stories of royal families and wars. Students at some of Greece's best universities are been taught these stories, so it meant a lot to the publisher, TYPIS Humanities - Publishing House, to have a modern approach on the subject, easy to read spreads with high quality typography and well designed maps. Below you can see the result of my work that, thankfully, pleased the publisher.
- The cover was a great hit and it got the writer's instant approval. But attention was given to every part of the book.
- I seriously love the medieval typography, even though I just made sure it was printed well and did not design any part of it.
- Parachute's Centro Sans Pro was used to make all of the book and the high quality of the font helped us reach the desired result very easily.
- The maps were difficult to design, for I have no expertise, and they took me a long time, but I feel like they are easy to read, thus do their work for every reader. That is at least what I hope for.
- Having your name printed onto such a valuable piece of work is always an honor.
- Your perception, suggestions and criticism are always welcomed.
In case you like this work, please appreciate it and, if you can, leave your comment.