A new experience in the club scene
Wireless Interactive Headphone
- Individual Project
- 'Halo' is a wireless interactive headphone with portable DAP(Digital Audio Player) as a set aimed for professional club DJs and trendy people who wear headphone as part of their fashion. The direct, cordless attachment of receiver and DAP prevents any circumstances of electronic interference or frequency problems, thus providing a lossless sound quality. The dual circular display can show off its fantastic visual effects in the dark, which can be seen like a halo encircling the user’s head.
- A DJ is like a god in the club. While he is performing, everyone inside looks up to him, mimicks the gestures of his, shouts his name out, and sings along with him. That’s why a good DJ should not only be good at mixing the music but also be well dressed, look good, and use proper props to excite the audience. This actually is beneficial for the crowd control. I focused on the fact that most of the DJs wear their monitoring headphones while mixing their music. Since a headphone is always worn by the DJ and is easily seen from far, wouldn’t it be exciting for the crowd if the DJ is wearing a flashy interactive headphone?
- INTERACTIVE CONTROLThe touch display allows the user to interac tively control the headphone with their fingers while wearing. ‘Single Tap’ to play/pause, ‘Double Tap’ to navigate tracks, ‘Swirl Up & Down’ to change volumes.
- ATTACH / DETACHABLE DAPThe DAP(Digital Audio Player) is attached to the earcup by magnetic. The direct attachment of receiver and the DAP prevents sound loss occured by any external electronic interference, or frequency problems that are stated as common problems of wireless headphones.
- THE DIGITAL AUDIO PLAYERThe digital audio player for ‘Halo’ is similar to conventional touch screen mp3 player. It supports WAV, AIFF, FLAC, ALAC, APE, MP3, AAC, WMA, OGG files and has a headphone-out that can be used with other receivers. Supports micro USB type-B for charging. Supports wireless charging and Wi-Fi Direct.
- The main focus of the design was creating a headphone that does not only provide comfort, but also fit nicely into the consumer’s lifestyle. So building a persona was important for envisioning the concept. For ‘Halo’, the persona was a club DJ who enjoys stylish and young life, drawing attention from others.
- While doing the sketch ideation, I kept in mind that the design should reflect persona’s life style. A stylish, and unique form, combined with metallic material seemed to give a trendy look which well fit to persona. Had lots of trial and errors harmonizing the design language of the DAP and the receiver.
- The dual circular displays can provide visual effects that reflect the characteristics of the music the DJ is monitoring. When the DJ plays a high bpm track, the effect turns dynamic, whereas for down tempo, it becomes bold and smooth. This will arouse great excitement among the crowd when the DJ is performing.