- 80 Gromits, 10 weeks, 1 city.
Gromit Unleashed is a public art exhibition in which giant sculptures of Gromit, decorated by invited artists, have been unleashed on the streets of Bristol and the surrounding area. At the end of the art trail, the sculptures will be auctioned to raise funds for Wallace & Gromit's Grand Appeal, the Bristol Children's Hospital Charity.
" Gromit " is from the famous " Wallace and Gromit " which is a British stop motion comedy film series, created by Nick Park for Aardman Animations.
So, let me introduce you to my Gromit design, titled " Bark at ee ".
For those who are not familiar with Bristol, or, the Bristolian people, we have a unique slang, which only us Bristolians really understand. I decided to decorate my Gromit, in the form of typography, using Bristolian slang. ( To most this will be jibber jabber )
The design took me about 60 hours to hand paint, white undercoat then straight on with the red.
It's an absolute privilege to be involved as there was a lot of great designs from famous illustrators, such as,
Sir Quentin Blake, Martin Handford, Cath Kidston, Pixar Animation Studios, Axel Scheffler and many more.
For more information on the project, then go to Gromit Unleashed's website.
- The original mock up drawing before it was picked by Aardman for the project. I wanted to create a really strong, stylish and fun typographic approach for the verbiage.
- A production image-lapse of gromit, approximately 60 hours painting in total!
- Here he is! All shiny and proper proud.
- A selection of some poses and press shots.