- From Afar - Jacob’s Ladder
From Afar is an alternative metal band from Rzeszów (Poland). We were asked to make a music video to one of their songs - Jacob’s Ladder, partly inspired by the movie of the same title.
Music video, which is a combination of computer animation, digital effects and live action, was made totally from scratch. The project contained elements such as: screenplay (written in cooperation with From Afar members), character and environment design, animation, video shooting and post-production.
- CHARACTER DESIGN
- The surreal character was inspired by Katarzyna Urbanek’s artworks.
- The character was modeled completely from scratch, being just a cube at the very beginning of the process. Since completion of that stage, it was time to paint various details on his skin such as scratches, stains, scars and a large wound on the stomach. Satisfied with his look, we created a bones system and bring him to life by using nonlinear animation system.
- ENVIRONMENT DESIGN
- The imagination created the vision of a post-apocalyptic fiction inspired by From Afar’s music. The animation environment was a result of combining it with real elements from the location we had chosen for shooting the video.
The particle system with specified shader (instead of standard material shader) was used to create an explosion at the begining of the video.
- One of the most characteristic elements on the scene was a scarecrow with a waving piece of clothing. It’s an example of cloth simulation with additional wind force.
- The animation of “mysterious” raven was made using hair simulation and bones system.
- VIDEO STILLS
- Here’s a couple of stills taken straight from the video.
- The interpretation is left open... Enjoy.