The Tervis Story
1946. Detroit. Engineers Frank Cotter and G. Howlett Davis hit on something big: they harness the natural insulating powers of air to create a permanently sealed, double-walled tumbler. Finally a way to keep hot drinks hot and cold drinks cold. This outstanding innovation changed the drink ware industry forever. Talk about a game changer.
Combining the last three letters of each of their last names, Cotter and Davis dubbed their new cup brand “Tervis”. In the years to follow, they worked hard to refine and improve their designs. The original tall, cylindrical tumbler evolved into additional sizes and products. Today, Tervis offers six tumbler sizes, plus hundreds of customizable designs, emblems, and accessory combinations.
The Donelly family purchased the Tervis product rights in the 1950s and incorporated the Tervis Tumbler Company in 1967. To this day, all Tervis products are proudly made in North Venice, Florida, where over 700 people are employed through this family-owned-and-operated business.
In 2011 we celebrated 65 years of making quality made-to-order tumblers.