- When we were asked to design route branding for some of National Express Dundee's buses we tried to understand the maket at a local level and came up with an innovative and fun solution. Dundee is famous for many things one of which are the many comic characters created there by DC Thomson who have given pleasure to many generations. We worked with National Express and DC Thomson to develop route branding using Dennis and Gnasher and Oor Wullie.
The new buses were launched by the Mayor at Mains Castle, Caird Park in Dundee. There was lots press covering the story and the event was even reported on Scottish television news.
Dennis & Gnasher and Oor Wullie are copyright of D.C Thomson & Co Ltd
- The Dennis & Gnasher Route represents route 28/29.
Apart from a fun way to brand routes and promote Dundee's achievements it works hard to earn customers through building route recognition of the service. For example, if you see a Dennis & Gnasher bus go down your street and then later see it in the city centre then you are more likely to make the connection that you could use this service in future to go to the city centre.
- The Oor Wullie Route covers route 22.
- The Oor Wullie Route - ready to go into service and bound to raise a smile on the roads.
- The route branding is colour coded to aid recognition further and to work with colour coded 'tube' style maps to make travel simpler. The stops are written on the sides so potential customers can see if the route is suitable to them.