- A p a i r o f s e l f - d i r e c t e d e d i t o r i a l i l l u s t r a t i o n s1. The act of crawling into enclosed solitude to contemplate the human condition2. Carrying an emotional burden for so long that it takes a form within you.
I wanted to remove all sensationalism of the articles and create quiet piecesthat were almost emotionally detached.- - -
- #1A 31-year-old Welsh-born mathematician involved in code-breaking work, was found dead on Aug. 23, 2010, by police officers who entered his London apartment. His naked body was curled in a fetal position inside a sports bag in an otherwise empty bathtub. In a twist worthy of a spy movie, the bag was padlocked, but the keys to the lock were inside the bag, beneath the decomposing body.
- T h e f u l l i l l u s t r a t i o n :
- - - - - - - - - -
- #2A 75-year-old Moroccan woman, gave birth to a ‘stone baby’, 46 years after it was conceived.In Moroccan culture, there is a myth of “The Sleeping Child” that believes a baby may lay dormant in the mother’s womb by black or white magic and eventually is born after the term of a normal pregnancy.Over 46 years, the fetus calcified into a solid mass.It was, essentially, a stone-baby.
- t h e f u l l i l l u s t r a t i o n :
- Cairne - a pile of stones that is used as a boundary marker, a memorial, or a burial site.- - -Lithopedion has been selected fot the Society of Illustrators Student Scholarship 2014. It will be on display in NewYork in the month of March.