- Embry-Riddle's distance running camp is housed at the Rocky Bottom Conference Center located in Sunset, S.C. on Sassafras Mountain, the highest point in South Carolina. The camp is designed for the serious high school runners who are preparing for the upcoming cross country season. The camp lasts for 2 weeks, but runners have the choice of staying for one of the two weeks or sticking around and enjoying the beautiful, scenic mountains of South Carolina for both weeks.
- Activity areas such as a basketball court, playground, putt-putt golf course, swimming pool, and even a game room are all accessible at the Conference Center.Each day features a different lecture on topics such as:
- Nutrition for Runners
- Elements of a Good Training Plan
- Evaluation of Individual Running Form
- Cross Country and Track Racing Tactics
- Running in College
- Training the Kenyan way
- Workouts include runs of varying distances, paces and surfacess including challenging trails and gravel roads. Most sessions end with a refreshing swim in cool mountain streams. Additional workouts include form drills, plyometrics, pool workouts, speed development drills and flexibility training.
- Camp coaching staff includes the Embry-Riddle Cross Country coaching staff and athletes.Mike Rosolino - Camp Co-DirectorMike Rosolio has coached at the collegiate level for over 10 years. Under his direction, Rosolino’s teams have won numerous conference titles and have been nationally ranked several times. He has also coached a number of conference Runners of the Year and AllAmericans, as well as seven national champions. The recipient of multiple Conference Coach of the Year honors, Rosolino currently serves as the head coach for both men’s and women’s cross country and men’s and women’s track & field at Embry-Riddle UniversPeter Hopfe - Camp Co-DirectorPeter Hopfe has been coaching at various levels for over 30 years. He coached numerous individual and team state champions at Flagler Palm Coast High School before coming to Embry-Riddle in 2005. Since then, he has helped guide the Eagle men and women to top-10 finishes in both cross country and track, and has been instrumental in ERAU’s seven individual national tit
- Camp Counselors include:
Sam VazquezFastest miler in Florida high school history, 7-time All-American,and NAIA National ChampionEvans Kirwa8-time NAIA All-AmericanAlex FrazierNAIA National QualifierKarina CoelhoNAIA All-American
Mandy PerkinsOne of the fastest milers in Floridahigh school history
Sue O’MalleyOlympic Trials marathon participant, and 4th place World Master finisher in the 10kPlus other Embry-Riddle Cross Country runners
- The camp presents itself as a wonderful opportunity for high school athletes to receive expert training and condition on tougher terrain at a higher altitude than they would normally train at. In addition, the runners are able to meet new people and form friendships with other athletes from many different schools. Between the serious running and fun provided at the camp, Embry-Riddle's distance running camp is most certainly one of a kind.More info at http://www.erauathletics