- EDGE Festival(IMPORTANT! This is a college project. In the festival i used the names of my favorite artists and some photos of them that i found on the net. If there is a copyright infringement, please contact me.)
- The subject of my main college project for Bachelor Diploma, was the visual identity design of an electronic music festival, as well as its promotion campaign.
Initially, I conducted an extended research about similar festivals that take place in Greece and abroad, to observe how other graphic designers have dealt with a similar issue. In most of the festivals I inquired, there wasn’t a bold visual identity, while in some of them there was only a poster with the necessary information.
So I decided to get away of the usual models and create a strong optical identity, easily recognized and totally functional with every kind of applications.
Firstly, I started with some keywords that are connected with this kind of music and with what has to do with such a festival. According to these words I started to make drafts for the logo, while, at the same time, I started to think about possible names of the festival.
After recording several possible names, I finally chose the ”EDGE”, because it is a small word, that on the one hand can easily be memorized and on the other hand can form an interesting typographic design.
Alongside with the search of a suitable name, I experimented with various shapes, trying to create an original sign. Inspired from various objects relative to this music scene, like the turntable, the vinyl, the cd player, the knobs of the mixer and the light rays, I ended to a round form and made some drafts. My intention though, was to draw a changeable-adaptable logo that according to the application being used, could change form and color. So, I initially designed an eye, in the inner part of which there were successive circular lines, while the rest of the sign was “broken” and differently painted.
- The outcome did not satisfy me very much, because the form of the eye as an element was very common and quite used, so I searched for other solutions. After several tries, I was led to the final logo, which combines many of the elements from the previous drafts, while its form reminds specific objects related to this kind of music. The sign can be rotated by 45 degrees and be used in 8 different versions and in many more color variations, according to the application used each time. The “official” colors of the logo are black, white, magenta, purple, orange and pink. The typography of the word EDGE is quite experimental and special. The letter E is consisted from 3 horizontal lines while the central line connects the whole word, highlighting its meaning.
- The logo can be used on the whole and as well as separately. It can become a pattern and be used in various applications while the word edge can stand alone by itself. The logo can also be “broken” into 4 smaller parts that are a logo for every festival stage. In fact, these 4 elements united, create the main logo.
- After I finished the logo of the festival, which is the most important element of the visual identity, I started to design the necessary applications.
When I was drawing the poster, I made several experimentations. I finally resulted in a poster 50 x 70 cm, which includes the pattern of the logo, the word EDGE and all the information needed for someone to be informed of all the festival events. I did not like to overload the poster with much more elements, so I thought that, before this poster appears officially, 4 other posters in the form of teaser could appear, with the aim of creating interest about the festival, before any other information announced. The basic design elements of these promotional posters are the square shapes in the basic colors of the festival identity.
- After that, I designed separate posters for some artists of the festival. These posters, which dimension is 50x70 cm too, have as a content the picture of each artist edited, while the kind of the artist’s music defines the relevant colors. The typography is original and special and is used with simplicity, in order to give the essential information about the event. The logo, as well, is changing its color and shape, while a basic element of the identity is used, the squares-pixels that appear with transparency, to correlate these posters with the rest identity of the festival. Actually, they are supporting “partial” posters, which create much more interest about the festival.
- For the business cards I also used a pattern based on the logo, while on the envelope and on the letterhead I added the full name of the festival, as an additional informative element.
- The ad in the magazine, which is an adaptation of the flyer, contains all the necessary information, while in the creative part dominates the logo and the typographic pattern.
- The banner consists of the design with the squares used in posters – teasers and the typographic pattern while contains basic information about the festival but not any artists names.
Tickets are pretty minimal, with colored squares on one side and the word EDGE on the other one, though they contain all the necessary information.
- The advertising tetraptych is based on the same philosophy with the rest applications and from the aspect of design, the same optical elements dominate, while it contains short information about the stages and the dates all artists appear.
- The festival programme is pretty small (pocket size), so as to be easily transferred and contains all the information a visitor of the festival needs, like the time and the stage each artist performs, biography, general information and everything else needed for the visitor of the festival.
- I also designed some extra applications, like pins, t-shirts and stickers that fit the rest elements of the identity, regarding colors as well as form and design.
The van of the festival, which carries all the necessary technical equipment, is covered with the basic forms and colors of the optical identity.
- The festival site is minimal as far as it regards design, but absolutely functional, providing the visitor with all the information needed, while the pictures of the artists participating interchange on the background along with pattern from designs transformed and changing colors.
- Finally, in the festival area, outside every stage, a design with the logo is present, as well as the programme for the 2 days of the event, so that the visitor can be informed about the artist performing and the time of performance, without the need to read the programme.