Since its founding, the Deutsches Hygiene-Museum Dresden has enjoyed the status of one of the most unusual cultural and scientific establishments in the world. Erected by Wilhelm Kreis in 1930 on the occasion
of the IInd International Hygiene Exhibition, the building is a cultural monument and contemporary witness
to the outgoing First German Republic and age of modernity. Its peculiarity lies primarily in its cubature and
the symmetrical layout of its rooms.
Signposts and location confirmations comprise the alignment of the information in German, English and French. Without the use of backing material, the inscriptions are applied directly to the walls following the course of the rooms themselves. The lightness and red colour are a reaction to the architectural severity.
Specially developed pictograms reinforce this form of intervention, serving to highlight the conceptualisation
of the institution as a “museum of the people”.