- CON10DERS - GRAPHIC DESIGN SENIOR SHOW THEME -
- This logo was created in collaboration with Nora Langer by combining the best of two logos we each designed separately. By utilizing negative space and a strong throw back font, this logo relays that the contenders are rooted in solid design principles as well as spunk.
- CONCEPTNAME: CON10DERS
Derived from: The verb contend. Defined as: to face, cope, or grapple with something. Used as a plural noun to describe a group of individuals. The ten is written in numerals to highlight the importance of the time frame, one decade.
MISSON STATEMENT: As a passionate force contending for smart and effective solutions, CON10DERS anticipate the use of technology in the coming decade of graphic design. This is achieved by thoughtful considerations of what has been and what is to come.
- MAILERSServing as invitations to our show, these mailers were screen printed and then folded to be mailed as one piece without an envelope.
- POSTERSDesigning for upcoming technology is not just about being on the forefront of new technologies it is about fighting for solid design decisions. Rooted in design humor, this series of six screen printed posters was hung around campus as a statement about what is worth contending for.
- CONTEND FOR CRAPLESS DESIGNCROP THE CRAP: Respectable work is achieved by cutting the crap out of your designs, not cutting corners. Designers are hard workers with thoughtful designs. Any monkey could use a Photoshop filter or clipart file.
- CONTEND FOR APPROPRIATE STROKING
STROKING PROHIBITED: Type is not an animal at the petting zoo. Therefore stroking type should be carefully considered, just as one should carefully consider which individuals it is appropriate to stroke in everyday life.
- CONTEND FOR EXPLORATION
COMMAND 'Z' AUDACITY: Command yourself and others to audaciously take risks and push ideas. Be bold, if it dosen't work out you can always command z it, but remember: nothing ventured, nothing gained.
- CONTEND FOR GOOD PERSPECTIVE
RASTERIZE YOUR LIVES: Not everything is vector smooth. Understanding this will give you the right mindset to overcome speed bumps. So aim your resolutions high while combatting set backs and your pixels/problems will not be evident in your final piece.
- CONTEND FOR GIVING A FONT
WHAT THE FONT?: Be able to explain why the font you are making certain design decisions, and you better give a font about what you are doing. Otherwise people might ask what the font you are doing as a designer.
- CONTEND FOR HARD WORKERSMAKE IT BLEED: It is important to take your work at least .125 inches further. Creating good design is about pushing the boundaries and exceeding what is expected not only of the project but of yourself.
- T-SHIRTSTo help promote our show, several of the CON10DERS screen printed shirts based off of the poster designs to wear the week of the show.
- CREDITSCompletion of these marketing materials would not have been possible without my fellow print committee members: Hannah Christian, Lindsay Gergen, Nora Langer, Mesa Luker, and Jamie Oaks. Many thanks to these wonderful individuals and designers for countless brainstorming and screen printing sessions.