- Update 17th November 2013 - Latest news...
Following up on the last post regarding having had encouraging news of potential support from the North Island, which could lead to a Printed Series of Posters? This is still in discussion over the next few weeks, as I have not had the chance due to other commitments, but have not given up on something being developed in the next few months, with Educational Backing.In recent weeks I have still continued to develop updated versions of the Typography, looking at a 'more positive forward thinking visuality' for the Concepts, and this is now developing into a series of A1 Posters (printed locally) and a 20 page Newspaper (to be printed through the Newspaper Club in the UK) both of these to form part of the Show I hope to secure in the New Year? The screengrabs of which have been posted to show the updated developments and the connectivity of both ends of the creative work. In addition there is still creative work being undertaken on the Colour Palattes, which forms the background and foundation to this project...In the meantime I'm still pursuing the local options, and hoping to have a showing of some form in the early New Year either local or up in Auckland or Wellington?...
- Update 30th September 2013 - Latest news...I have had encouraging news of potential support from the North Island, which could lead to a Printed Series of Posters? In the meantime I'm pursuing the local options, and hoping to have a showing of some form in the early New Year?...Update 3rd September 2013 - Thoughts behind the visual...In recent months, I have had a number of conversations with local people, regarding where potentially how this project can proceed and develop? One of the first pieces of feedback, from Julie Goodman, who manages the Social Media for Cashel Mall ReSTART. Julie wrote as follows: "Hi Peter, love your work. I manage the social media for Cashel Mall ReSTART, the container mall in Christchurch. I would be very interested in using your graphics sometime on our page, but would need to take the creative direction of growth, rebirth, etc. Do you have any thoughts on that?"Short answer was yes I have, and the new direction is shown above and below...To start with I have shortened the type to CHCH, when here, everyone knows this. Also included now are images of the 'old Christchurch', shown with the 'new Artistic works going on display'.For example the top Branding show the Busy Bee Wall Display from the Museum, coupled now with the Patterns from the Square surrounding the Cathedral. Below a section of one of the Stained Glass Windows, coupled with an image of one the Large Garden Gnones, standing outside the Gallery.I have also included images of the new Cardboard Cathedral, and Artbox Cubes, some of which are currently in development and will be online in the next few days...
- Update 2nd September 2013. More work now added 'CHCH040910.
Latest update - With only 2 days to go before the 3rd Anniversary of the 1st Earthquake, I have created the next in the series of my 'Typographic development', or Visual Response to these events, which have happened over the last 3 years in my now Adopted City. I hope to in the next 24 hours, get these Creative Developments out there on the net, through the already established networks...The emphasis runnig through the latest work, shows a more Colourful, and hopefully positive feel, which is in keeping with the ongoing Artistic Creative Initiatives running through the City. More details to follow in the coming days...
- Update 28th August 2013. Meeting with Henry Sunderland, Artist and Educator.In the last couple of weeks I was very lucky to be able to meet the Artist Henry Sunderland, who created the Concept of the 'Flowers in the Cones'. This is a big break for my project work, as Henry very kindly invited me to join his own FB page created for the Campaign of ongoing remembrance here in CHCH.I'm hoping to have further discussions with Henry, in the coming months...Update 8th March 2013. More work now added 'CHRISTCHURCH 185'.
Latest update - More Creative development working around the lives lost and the time the 2nd Quake happened, now focusing on the small cones with flowers tributes seen around the city in the days leading up to the Anniversary. I have added typographic development and the Illustration of the cones with the rose, taken from my own photography. More to follow, watch this space...
- Update 26th February 2013. More work on the 'The Day of Rememberence'.
Latest update - More Creative development working around the lives lost and the time the 2nd Quake happened, added 185 for lives lost and 12.51pm the time it happened, in the coming days more development showing specific numerical consequences of the this 2nd Tragic event.Watch this space...
- Update 22nd February 2013. 'The Day of Rememberence'.
Latest update - More Photomontage, and article about the project is published online, both in New Zealand with the Rebuild Christchurch Website and Creative Times the UK. Details of which will follow in a new project folder...http://www.rebuildchristchurch.co.nz/blog/2013/2/chch-220212-now-220213-earthquake-awareness-project-two-years-on-http://www.creativetimes.co.uk/articles/building-a-creative-community-post-earthquake
Photomontage of images of flowers to reflect the 22nd Anniversary, to represent the memorial, last 2 years, showing a cross section of destruction, damage and repairs being undertaken in the CBD and a few suburban areas, cross displayed with the Floral Tribute. The above latest Creative development acknowledges the look ahead to next year, and as the next Anniversary will be upon us on 04/09/13, there are a number of supportive variations of the Typography which will be developed, for potential gallery and online viewing...
- Update 19th February 2013.Latest update - PhotomontageThis latest visual development shows a Photomontage of images, both my own and donated in the last 2 years, showing a cross section of destruction, damage and repairs being undertaken in the CBD and a few suburban areas.This montage will be included in the next 220211 - 220213 Visual Typographic Development, and this is will be included as a 'compare and contrast' for a further series creative development of the visual identity, which is slowly being established here now in Christchurch, and should hopefully lead to a certain level of collaboration in the coming months? There will be also a 'current postive montage of new developments, taking place, nw buildings and Arts Initiatives'.Update 18th February 2013.
As already posted in the last few days, the 2nd Anniversary of the February 22nd Earthquake in 2011, is now only a few days away. New development work on the project is now posted in advance of the Anniversary. In addition to this as also mentioned in recent posts, i'm currently putting together a Presentation of how this project has developed and writing an article on the journey and contacting local organisations to gather support for local and International exposure, this will also be posted in the coming weeks, as part of a larger assembly of development work being created.This latest work now features visually 'the Artbox Project' which brings together Creatives from a varied selection of Backgrounds from the City of Christchurch. My aim is in the coming months to develop further Creative Work, to promote Internationally as well as Nationally this work.These will be published online in the coming months, to coincide with a table of local and national events here in New Zealand.
Watch this space...
- Update 17th February 2013.
The 2nd Anniversary of the February 22nd Earthquake in 2011, is now not far off. New development work on the project will be posted in the next few days in advance of the Anniversary. In addition to this as also mentioned in recent posts, i'm currently putting together a Presentation of how this project has developed and writing an article on the journey and contacting local organisations to gather support for local and International exposure. These will be published online in the coming months, to coincide with a table of local and national events here in New Zealand.
Watch this space...
Update 1st January 2013.
The 2nd Anniversary of the February 22nd Earthquake in 2011, is now not far off. This month I will be posting in the an updated development of the branding created over a year ago, the first development ideas from this are posted now. In addition to this as also mentioned i'm currently putting together a Presentation of how this project has developed and writing an article on the journey and contacting local organisations to gather support for local and International exposure. These will be published online in the coming months, to coincide with a table of local and national events here in New Zealand.
Watch this space...
- Update 13th December 2012.
The 2nd Anniversary of the February 22nd Earthquake in 2011, is not far off. I will be posting in the next month an updated development of the branding created over a year ago. In addition to this, i'm currently putting together a Presentation of how this projects has developed and writing an article on the journey so far. These will be published online in the coming months, to coincide with a table of local and national events here in New Zealand.
Watch this space...
Update 26th November 2012.
Continuing the series of updates for this project, it will be 2 years on the 22/02/13 since the 'Major Earthquake' hit the City of Christchurch in New Zealand. This project has now taken on a more direct meaning as I'm now based in the city permanently, and seeing first hand the devastation on the ground and the changes, but now also the renewed positive actions of the City's Creative Industries is an area which will form part of future Creative Development...
Update. 31st August 2012.
Another update on the progress of this project. The 04/09/12 will be 2 years to the day since the first earthquake struck Christchurch, as a remembrance of this early event (6 months before the 2 major quake of the 22/02/11 which claimed 185 lives) I feel it's appropriate to now offer another creative offering to my project.The main aim of this project is to continue raising awareness for the need to continue to support the people and creative industries in the city. This is not a one off, we will producing materials and the means to become involved in the coming months, so please pass this link on through your own connections, if you can this will be very much appreciated.Thank you.Peter Godkin, MA MCSD, MDINZ.
CHCH 220212 awareness project - 1 year on.It was 7.30am in the morning on the 22nd February 2011, and I was in my hotel room in London preparing for breakfast and to attend the second day of the ‘4 Designers Seminar’ at Leicester Square with my HND Graphics Students from the University of Salford. My Wife Ness, called me to say that another major earthquake had hit the city of Christchurch, and this time there were casualties. My first thought, was to get back home to Manchester on the train from London as quickly as I could. It was during this journey back that I made an note of a few thoughts ‘how to help?’ The journey felt like an eternity and at the time I was unable to really get my thoughts off the ground, due to being heavily involved in undertaking my Masters of Arts in Communications (also at Salford) and my teaching commitments. It would only be possible once I had completed these commitments, to set aside the time to get these ideas from my journal and into a form which could be offered up for potential discussion and collaboration. The time became available over Christmas 2011, and the first thoughts came together were developed and conceptualised, which became the branding and is shown below. The question I have been asked a few times now, is why do this? My answer for the following 2 reasons: Firstly to continue to raise awareness outside of New Zealand, and especially as the upcoming ‘1st anniversary’ will be on the 22nd February. It was very unfortunate that not long after in March, the Earthquake and Tsunami hit Japan, and the shocking loss of life which went with it, however with no disrespect intended this completely took away any focus on the plight of Christchurch. I also want to make it clear that this work is all ‘Not for profit’.
Before Christmas 2011, I felt it was the right moment to put the word out about my own contribution to the healing support service for my Wife’shome city, about the continuing problems still being encountered every day, by the General population a large number of whom, in the last 18 months have lost everything. This is where the very personal perspective comes to the fore, as my Wife and I have Family and friends over in Christchurch, and have regularc ontact with them, the difficulties they have faced especially post the earthquake which struck with such devastation on that day, killing 184 people still continue. Thankfully all our Family and friends were ok, however of these a few lost their homes and it has taken a very long time to actually get to a point of when they can rebuild with a promised compensation.
Secondly though not as directly personal but it is still important to help support the ‘existing initiatives’ for fellow creatives in Central Christchurch. I also hold International membership of DINZ (Designers Instituteof New Zealand) in addition to my CSD membership, and I can bring a dual perspective to any discussion on how to move forward. It is also not widely known that many of the creatives in the city who have been affected, are from the ‘Entrepreneurial level’ or ‘Small Business sector’ and have lost their livelihoods in the space of those traumatic few hours.
As a fellow Entrepreneur and now Educator the empathy is there, by putting out the word through International networks online in the ‘CreativeIndustries’ through ‘Creative Strategies’ of Poster Design, Online Branding, Skill Donations to collaborative projects and if possible also raises funds, then this will be a bonus. One of my specialist areas is ‘Typographic Branding’ and the visual shown are the early creative developments of the process, and have followed on from my MB96 Manchester Bombing creative work.
I have also created a ‘call to action’, for potential collaboration with other people in the creative industries and this has led to contact in the creative sector, the beginning of a collaborative development with ChrisFlack, a London based Kiwi creative, who is also from Christchurch, and who has experience of fundraising in this area. This information has been posted on Linkedin and Facebook networks with visual supporting evidence through Behance.
In conclusion any support with this will be very much appreciated. A further information release is due out on the 15/02/12 with more details of howthings could progress. In the meantime please send on this link through your own network and connections, if you can this will be very much appreciated.
Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this article.
Peter Godkin MA, MCSD, MDINZ
- A Creative response to bring to the World's attention, the continuing problems of the People of Christchurch, this is seen as a very positive response and a way of helping not only the general public, but fellow creatives down there as well.This idea originally started out as a new poster awareness series, but in the last week has now developed into what might become more of an online Portal for like minded creatives to bring their own visual thoughts to the table, and that help is still needed for CHCH. I'm hoping to get some collaboration on this project (as stated maybe get them printed?) or even better an organisation to take this series up and start a campaign to sell them? However this will now follow later.
On a personal note my Wife and I have a strong connection to Christchurch in NZ, on my Wife's side with both family and friends there, and I have thought for a good while that I should get a project going to still highlight the persistent problems the people of the city are having with the continuing earthquakes/tremors which now number in the thousands and once again in recent days tremors and earlier in the Xmas period where they have suffered 3 extensive quakes, which have weakened areas already very week from the major quakes of 04/09/10 and 22/02/12.A Press release and supporting articles will appear over the next 2 weeks, on the 15th and 22nd Feb, plus further details of how you can get involved.Thank you for taking the time to read this.More development work to follow...New article featured in Idealog from New Zealand http://idealog.co.nz/blog/2012/02/godkin
- For the early visual work, I used photopgraphy taken by my Wife Vanessa on her visit to CHCH in 2009. These images really, when in comparison with how the city looks now, show a very dramatic change of appearence and dynamic the city has undergone in the following 2 years since 04/09/10 and later 22/02/11. The images helped to provide the base for ongoing development.The seeds of this project were sown back in September 2010 after the first earthquake hit the city. At the time I had just completed for my MA course my Learning Agreement setting out what my direction of development would be for the first 3 months of the course. My initial draft of the proposal submitted focused on CHCH but this was rejected by my course management, as they felt I could not undertake the study required, without visiting the city to gather information first hand from the sources locally.
I instead focused on my home City of Manchester, and the sketches which follow below show how I developed the 'Anniversary timeline concept' for the 'MB96 Project' and which later became 'Manchester Bombing Personal Memories' for the 'Royal Exchange Theatre Installation', and the supporting print, the branding I created for MB96 has moved on to be adapted for CHCH.
Now eighteen months later I have the opportunity to explore this area without hinderance, and to fully develop the Identity of this project. The following set of images show the early 'creative development' from my sketchbook, focusing on the visual basis of how a traumatic event can effect an environment, and later how we overcome this and rebuild.
- The jump off point for the images within the numbers, started at this point in my sketchbook development, as I was looking at how I could represent the significant Architectural & Urban Colour development which had taken place since the bombing in the city centre.