- BatmobileMy degree project. Celebrating Batmans 70th anniversary with a brand new batmobile.
- Batman celebrated his 70th birthday in May 2009. Time for a new Batmobile! Weaponry, sheet metal and rocket drive are things of the past. The new Batmobile flutters through Gotham City under cover of darkness.
This is my degree project. After doing a lot of research on Batman and his history I started developing some concepts for Batman's equipment. For me it was important to create something that fits his character. Something that everybody recognizes as Batman's equipment. In the end I decided to create a new Batmobile that is different from any other Batmobile from the last 70 years.
- This is the key sketch for the new Batmobile. I wanted it to appear like Batman himself. Batman works under cover of darkness, he tries to hide that he's a human being and he has this huge fluttering cape. I included these characteristics into the concept of the Batmobile. You can hear the Batmobile fluttering but it's difficult to capture the siluette because the siluette is constantly changing. Like Batman's appearance is completely different from a average guy this Batmobile looks different from any car on the streets of Gotham City.
- The structure is based on a frame and a flexible hull. I created the surfaces by digitally stretching the hull over the frame. Then I added some reinforcements. The look of the hull is inspired by pretest vehicles and rorschach tests. The Batmobile has four wheel hub motors.
- Finally I added the fluttering textile parts. Like the hull the simulation of the textiles is done via cloth fx in 3dsmax. This project was great because all aspects of my work influenced the final design. I hope you enjoy my interpretation of the Batmobile!