- In this series of images entitled Behind Ipanema (the touristy and fancy neighborhood in Rio de Janeiro), I want to give a broader perspective on the city reality and changes occurring before the 2014 World Cup and 2016 Olympic Games. Always in a delicate balance between poverty and natural beauty, inequalities and opportunities, hypocrisy and joy, these images also reflect my travel experiences and life philosophy.
- Rio de Janeiro, city of contrasts, inequalities and hope
- O Complexo do Alemão, a group of 13 favelas, had in 2000 the lowest IDH in Rio
- Colorful scenes in Vidigal, one of the first favelas to be pacified
- Local communities are working hard to create opportunities for the new generations
- Challenges remain big and efforts are not always disinterested
- New transport strategies connect now depressed areas. Will they bolster happiness?
- Balancing economical and social development will be key for Brazil’s successful future
© Ray Vuilsen 2013