- As Ayala Center Cebu drew closer to unveiling their 2.5 billion-peso east wing expansion, the shopping center wanted to present a teaser of this exciting development. With this in mind, the first Ayala shopping center outside Manila decided to go for the digitally novel approach.
Ayala Grid Wall is a life-size digital interactive wall that detects motion made in front of a calibrated camera. The wall tracks and maps the movement of passing people and demonstrates a physical-virtual interactivity between the participant and the wall. In the initial absence of interactivity, the wall reveals a series of stimulating graphics and patterns depicting the theme 'Style In The Making'.
- Types of ModeThe interactive wall is divided into two parts. The 'Interactive' mode, which is for the public to interact. And the 'Idle-Cycle' mode, which is for Ayala Center Cebu's teaser images:'Interactive' - At this mode, the camera detects any motion and movements made by the mall-goers. This series of actions are then interpreted as control to interact with the wall.
Interactive mode is made up of colorful patterns associated to a particular theme.
- 'Idle/Cycle' - At 'Idle' mode, after a few seconds of absence of motion, the wall converts the grid of patterns into a carousel of 'Style In The Making' themed graphics which is a mixed of construction and fashion elements. But unlike the timing of the 'Idle' mode, the 'Cycle' mode activates in a pre-determined interval (ex. every 10 minutes), wherein regardless of whether or not the camera detects any motion, the wall will revert to the 'Idle' mode.'Idle/Cycle' mode showing some of the 'Style In The Making' themed images.
- CustomizationMost of the elements and settings of the Ayala Grid Wall are customizable and could be uploaded (images) or set (parameters) directly within the interactive wall's application:Grid Patterns - There was plenty of inspiration to draw from the richness of the Ayala Center as a shopping mall. But since this project presents a preview of the on-going constructed expansion, I decided to associate the patterns with construction related elements.
Some of the patterns used in the Ayala Grid Wall.Top - Bottom: Plywood, Mixed Paint, Chain Link Fence, Caution Stripes & Steel Plate
- 'Idle/Cycle' Time Interval - Interval and duration for both modes could be customized according to specifications. It may also differ on the location and varied traffic occurrences.Recorded video screenshot of the different transitions of the Ayala Grid Wall per time interval.
- The Ayala Grid Wall was a resounding success as a project as it elicited fun, curiosity and excitement from the shoppers as the installation provided a whole new dimension to the Ayala Center Cebu malling experience.
- Project CreditsAyala Grid Wall
Conceptualization, Design & Development: Seph Mayol'Style In The Making' and Pattern ImagesDesign: Seph Mayol
Video: Ruel AntipuestoEdit: Seph Mayol
Music: Van Oosting - Portable Lights
Glass & HousingPlan & Setup: Seph MayolConstruction: Value Builders