- This summer with venue sponsored by Red Elation Gallery, THE BLACK STORE invites young artists from all over the world to express their thoughts and idea on WoM. How did WoM become so irresistible that we lost our immunity to such advertising trick? Let’s hear how these artists and
The BLACK STORE say.
There are numerous marketing and advertising out there, although we seems to become immune to them, when “Word of Mouth” (WoM) comes into the game, we are lost all our defence. We believe our friends, relatives and colleague for their ‘best buy’, we dig into forums for “users’
review”, we pay attention to every like and share on Facebook and other social media, and “Word of Mouth” is the new battleground for all marketers and advertisers!
Presented by: THE BLACK STORE (Facebook: www.facebook.com/theblackstore)
Venue Sponsored by: Red Elation Gallery
EXHIBITION PERIOD: 25 August – 8 September 2012
Red Elation Gallery, G/F, 5-6 Lung On Street, Wanchai, Hong Kong (near Pak Tai Temple)
Gallery Hours: Tuesday to Saturday, 12noon - 6pm (Closed on Sunday, Monday and Public
Enquiry: Telephone: +852 2893 7837 / E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org / Website:
- What is THE BLACK STORE?THE BLACK STORE is art in disguise. Our works comments on the marketing and advertisement, with the tricks and strategy they use. We hope by doing so, audience will be more aware of such strategies and will think about it.
THE BLACK STORE was a New Media research project. Five students from Master of Arts in Visual Cultural Studies in The Chinese University of Hong Kong treat their course project with a little more than others do. They contacted Gallery Z in JCCAC last year, turning such school project into a multimedia performance art and exhibition piece. Opening a “store” in a gallery, wearing uniforms and turning into ‘salespersons’, hard-selling their over-priced ‘artworks’. We are not only doing academics, but a belief and criticism of the values.
We believe that even cents have their value; if some junk commercial goods can be sold with packaging, then we might use branding and packaging to make those seemingly valueless things grow. Our first opening was a great success, and so we did an encore some 20 days later. People liked our Facebook pages, and became our friends.
After our graduation, we went into different ways. We became a marketing coordinator in an international brand, a video editor in cable TV, a drama project coordinator, and local digital media analyst, laboratory officer in quality testing company. Yet our ambition remains. And we decided
to re-run The BLACK STORE, this time fortunately we have our venue sponsor- Red Elation Gallery. With a professional branding for arts, and a group of artists who share our beliefs, creating a series of artwork.
This is an experimental exhibition, THE BLACK STORE want to discuss how values are formed, and it must goes beyond branding. From worthless cents to arts; from a Master course study to real live marketing technique. We turn some local artists into a rising international artist by branding, using words and other information to guide our audience the way of seeing, while at the same time leaving space for thinking. We break the gap between arts and the public, and hoping
to audience to find their own ways of appreciating arts, and trust their eyes!
- My role: Co-founder, Creative, Curator, Artist
- The BLACK STORE Afterwords
A feelings of hyperreality occupied us after entering the ‘The BLACK STORE’. Hyperreality is a real without origin or reality ( By Jean Baudrillard), or “The Authentic Fake” (By Umberto Eco). Marketing is so deep-rooted in our daily lives. The BLACK STORE cannot really expose them one by one. Yet this is not what we would like to do anyway. The BLACK STORE is a mean to an end. By presenting marketing technique in a hyperreal way, we hope our audience to see that : Marketing, advertising and Word of Mouth are just tricks to increase our desire to buy, but we have the right to choose. Trust your taste, trust yourself. If you really like the artwork, who cares who create it? The background of the artists is not important. What is important is the feeling and emotion connection each artwork gives you.
As long as there are marketing and advertising, The BLACK STORE is always out there. For more The BLACK STORE features and behind the scenes, please visit : www.facebook.com/theblackstore
- Thank you every single audience, friends and family, and of course, every artist who is involved in this exhibition. Last but not least, every one from The Black Store and Red Elation.
- Audience Feedback and video recap
- BLACK STORE is everywhere.You can’t stop them, but you can have your own point of view.Trust your own taste, wether you like it or not, just admit it.Listen to your heart and express your yourself.For the rest of the story, please subscrible for more surprise.http://www.facebook.com/theblackstore