- A Piece of Life
- A Piece of Life is an integral part of my thesis — The Papercy Project (c. 2009-2010).
At its heart, The Papercy Project is about resonance. There will always be both quantifiable and abstract aspects of graphic design that we have to reconcile and contend with — the tangible and intangible. I sought to achieve this by making my outcomes as open-ended to interpretation as possible, letting them derive personal meaning to ones who would view or use them.
My choice of medium to express this is paper — a material increasingly sidelined in a digital world. Tapping on glass surfaces is certainly close to replicating the experience of handling paper, but it is not paper. The physicality of the material resonates most deeply because the feedback that we get from it is most natural and organic.
A Piece of Life is a compiled booklet that relates the story of paper as a metaphor for design and life.
- We begin life on a clean slate. Like a blank sheet of paper, without any colours or markings.
- Slowly but surely, we assimilate knowledge and experiences – colourful memories that enrich and fulfill our lives.
- In order to do so, we had to get ourselves acquainted withthe dictionary to understand words and their meanings.
*Through words we communicate and pass information.
- Alternatively, we also heard of a universal language.*
That’s when we learnt of the artistry in communication.
- We can only meander our way through the ins and outs of this journey, adding and subtracting wherever necessary as we go along.
- Sometimes logic simply fails us.
*And we yearn for freedom from its captivity.
- As the days go by...
...our stint at school comes to an end.
- We embark on another journey.*
Sending our travel anecdotes across the globe.
- And we take photographs of what might interest us.
- We buy gifts...
...to celebrate life’s significant moments.
- Business cards are exchanged to foster networking.*
Hopefully, we might find our significant other during the process.
- Life is a journey with a myriad of cyclical repetitions. It is up to us to spice it up and make it fresh.