Tom Lally Design
Production manager and production design
The studio produces a wide range of corporate identity material for a broad range of clients which included banks, insurance, semi-state and industrial/manufacturing companies.
I was involved in the production of a diverse range of print, web and display promotional material. Since 1994 I had shared the responsibility for production management. From 1997 I was involved at an account and production management level plus design for a number of national re-branding exercises. Examples of these were the Norwich Union Hibernian merger and the subsequent Hibernian Aviva merger.
• Production management and associated production design, which involves the setting up of production and design schedules for each job and the quality controls for every aspect of that particular job.
• Account executive serving the existing client base and the targeting of new potential clients. With existing clients this involved obtaining briefs, supplying visuals and on approval the complete implementation of these projects and ensuring that every aspect of that particular job was covered. These included identifying areas which the client may have failed to capitalise on, such as web site implementation, display systems, livery and signage. New potential clients were targeted through research which was followed through by mailings and personal calls.
• Litho and digital print management which involves the implementation of production schedules, quality control systems, packing instructions and delivery deadlines. Also involved was liaison with printers on areas such as imposition, planning, stock, pre-press proofing, die-cutting, finishing and costing jobs.
• “Hands-on” production using QuarkXPress, Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop.
• Production of display systems, internal and exterior signage. Areas such as production management, safety & health criteria and quality control were implemented in conjunction with the companys' or the clients nominated supplier.